Xubuntu-Openpipeflow virtual disk image
Setting up the virtual linux machine
- Install virtualbox
- Download the vdi file here. Extract the image file from the 7z file with e.g. winzip or with the p7zip package.
- click on 'New'
- give the new machine a name, e.g. 'xubuntu 12.04 - Openpipeflow'
- choose linux, 64bit-ubuntu, and default RAM.
- use existing harddisk file xubuntu-12.04-openpipeflow.vdi then click 'create'.
- highlight the newly created machine and click 'start'.
At the login prompt
user: xubuntu password: reverse
Openpipeflow on the virtual machine
Open up a terminal by clicking on the Terminal icon at the top left.
Openpipeflow-x.xx has been installed in the Openpipeflow folder in the user's home directory:
Desktop window size
To make the window bigger, change the virtual machine's display size via:
(Applications Menu) - Settings - Settings manager - Display - Resolution
If the window size doesn't change immediately, try selecting the same new resolution several times.
Importing/exporting data to/from the virtual machine
You could try inserting a USB key or to scp to another machine. Otherwise, Virtualbox 'Guest Additions' have been installed on the virtual machine. This means that host drives may be mounted by the virtual machine. For example, to mount Windows' drive C, try
- (virtualbox menu bar) - devices - shared folders - shared folders settings...
- highlight 'Machine Folders' and click add folder
- enter 'c:\' with 'auto-mount' and 'make permanent'.
- reboot the virtual machine
- try 'ls /media/cf_C_DRIVE/'
About the image file
The disk image derives from that at 
7. Xubuntu 12.04 codename Precise Pangolin Size (compressed/uncompressed): 502.2 MBytes / 2.6 GBytes Link: http://downloads.sourceforge.net/virtualboximage/xubuntu_1204.7z Active user account(s) (username/password): xubuntu/reverse Notes: from standard ISO image, Guest Additions not installed
Please see xubuntu.org for full licence text.
Note that Guest Additions have since been installed on the virtual machine.
Packages have been installed as follows:
sudo apt-get install gfortran sudo apt-get install liblapack-dev sudo apt-get install libfftw3-dev sudo apt-get install libnetcdf-dev